We’ll come back to this image in a minute. Don’t fret.
Last weekend, as described in an earlier post, I shared a vending booth at an outdoor festival. In terms of art sales, it was a bust. As a learning experience, though, it was ace. One of the things I learned best (most? hardest?) was that if I want to play the art vending booth sport, I really need to step up my game. I need a more formal presentation. I need things I hate dealing with (price stickers, for example). I need display arrangements that say ‘gallery’ more than they say ‘squatter’. I’ve often said that, had DaVinci done a sketch on a cocktail napkin, that would in no way diminish its value … as long as it is properly mounted, matted, frame, and has a nice caption card. All of this stuff is very attainable for me, it just requires money and time away from the studio work. In theory, though, each finished piece (finished means all the way to framed or ready-to-frame) will stay finished and show-ready in perpetuity. So, once I catch up on the stock I have, this should be less time consuming. However, the expense of getting set up is considerable: I have a LOT of stock on hand.
That said, things are good. I discovered that my computer and printer actually CAN produce a decent print of a scanned original. That means I can sell prints of some of my watercolors at reasonable prices, and save the originals for pricey markets. People at an outdoor fair browsing booths aren’t looking for original art to frame and treasure and foist off on their kids. They’re looking for shiny things to remind them of that time they went to that festival… I think I can do this. The image above is one that I test-printed today, it came out fan-freaking-tastic on the photo paper. I am really excited about this, and wanted to start printing lots of my earlier paintings as affordable repro.
There is a lot more to show prep than just the stock, but if the stock isn’t worth selling, there is no reason to get out of bed at all. At least I have my work cut out for me. I think having a wider range of items (and price points) in my Etsy shop will help move that along, and I might see about getting some of my mo’ better images printed as postcards by a commercial printer at some point.
I also have been working on glass, as well. If you look in the Flickr photostream on the left, you should see a few images of an all-clear-glass design. In three of the images, the piece has that just-finished look. In the fourth, there are massive breaks and cracks in the outer 2 glass panes, that sort of frame the central braid thing. And the most recent picture is the same central braid, flanked by blue and purple. Yeah, that’s right. I made it, photographed it, dropped it on the studio floor, and then spent half the next day re-making it. It actually looks better with the blue and purple, instead of clear-clear-clear. But I kinda wish I had used that half-day on something less …. remedial. Ahh, well.